The Benedictines Of Caldey Island.

SHEPHERD, W. R.

£50.00

Publisher

The Abbey, Isle of Caldey.

Place

Caldey

Date

1912

Synopsis

Formerly of painsthorpe, york) containing the history, purpose, method and summary of the rule of the benedictines of the isle of caldey, s. wales. edited by w.r. shepherd]. illustrated. second edition revised.

Item Description

8vo. 8.5 x 5.5 inches. xviii + [ii] + 152 + [2] pp. Title page in red and black. In green card wrapper with gilt titles, later bound in dark blue cloth, with contrasting red spine title, gilt. Ex-library copy of Denstone College with handwritten inscription and number. A little edge wear and sunning of cloth binding, but otherwise a very good copy. Illustrated by folding map of the island, by 30 pages of plates, including sepia photographs, drawings and facsimile and by text figures. An early guide to the Benedictine Abbey on Caldey Island, Pembrokeshire, first published 1907. The Anglican Benedictine monks led by Dom Aelred Carlyle moved from Painsthorpe Abbey, Kirby Underdale, East Riding of Yorkshire to found the new Abbey of Caldey in 1906. The majority of the Caldey monks joined the Roman Catholic church in 1913 and later moved to Prinknash Abbey, Gloucestershire in 1928, being succeeded on Caldey by a Trappist community from Belgium in 1929. Edited by William Richard Shepherd (b.1860), Rector of KIrby Underdale.

[Stock No. 30041]

Search by typing:

Or Choose a Category: